As your high school days have come to an end, I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little sad. I have treasured our time together at Jersey Village High School. I know that I pushed you to take the most challenging classes, but it was because I knew you would always more than succeed. I am so proud of you for always challenging yourself, even in times where you could have taken some less challenging classes with some of your friends to have a lighter load. Your drive has set you up with so many opportunities. I cannot wait to see you walk across the stage draped in your National Honor Society stole and cords, Spanish National Honor Society cords, Science National Honor Society stole and cords, Student Council stole, and Summa Cum Laude cords and medal. Everyone will see the girl that I have always seen, a girl that has always prided herself on working hard and making the most of her high school years.
I have to admit that after Spring Break, I selfishly prayed every night for us to be able to go back to school. I felt somewhat cheated of our time together. I forever cherished getting to spend my days with you. It was always the highlight of my day when you and your friends would stop by just to chat. I am blessed to work a job that offers me time with my family and that allows me to see high school through yours and your friends eyes. As I continued to pray to God for us to go back to school, I realized that I could continue to feel a sadness for all that you would miss, or I could work to help you create the most amazing new memories. A calmness finally came over me because I realized how blessed we were for all you did get to experience your senior year. I loved watching you play your final games of volleyball, attend Homecoming with the love of your life and your best friends, participate in Mr. Falcon, decorate your car to designate you were finally a senior, attend senior sunrise, go to South Padre with your friends (and us senior moms) and be awarded the title of Ms. JVHS. Overall, it was a pretty amazing senior year! And the Covid 19 virus actually offered me more time with you at home and conversations over home cooked meals (that actually weren't all that bad no matter how many crying memes my friends sent to you guys and me Lol) . It continues to get better as people all over continue to recognize the class of 2020.
New senior memories started to emerge and people were in awe of the grace and grit of your class. Senior awards night at the Showboat Drive In were amazing, and other schools and districts wanted to copy it. People believe that should be the new way to do awards now. You worked hard on the slideshow and people were amazed by it. Senior signs adorned the lawns to remind people to stand and back this senior class. A graduation is planned on the football field and looks to be pretty amazing. You will not get a traditional senior prom, but we will give you a prom none the less. I am thankful we still had our girl time dress shopping even in all of the uncertainty. Graduating during a Pandemic meant that you had to approach the end of senior way in an entire new light. I must say you continue to shine and never let anyone or anything extinguish your spirit.
As you graduate and head off on a new journey, I have many wishes for you. First of all, never lose your sense of confidence. There will be trying times in college where you will question if you are good enough, smart enough, and strong enough to tackle the obstacle at hand. You are a class of 2020 graduate that life has already taught to see with 20/20 vision and clarity. You have faced many trials and tribulations, yet have come out a stronger and more confident woman than before. Believe in yourself. Believing in yourself proves to the world what we already know. You are smart, humble, kind, and the most compassionate person I know. Don't ever let someone make you believe otherwise. You are one of the smartest and hardest working girls I know, but there is always room to grow and learn and try new things. Keep your sense of adventure. Make new friends, but keep in touch with your old friends too. Friends are the people you will want to share life's adventures with in college and beyond. Share your smile with the world! It is one of your best qualities and it is always free to give. Live, love, and laugh often. It rejuvenates the soul!
I will leave you with this, I will always be here for you. I have been and always will be your #1 fan and supporter. No matter how far away you are, I will always be your mom, the one you can call on at all hours of the day or night. I made a promise to myself long ago that nothing would ever come before my kids, and that has not, and will not ever change. I will always have time to listen and talk to you. I will offer you advice. It may not always be what you want to hear, but I promise it will be what I believe is best for you. I love you too much to just tell you what you want to hear. It will be up to you to decide what to do with that advice. I will always have time to see you, and I promise if you need me I will be in my car and headed to Austin. It isn't that far and there are so many good restaurants to talk over a meal.
I already miss you, and you haven't even left for college yet. I will miss walking by your room to tell you goodnight, talking to you after school or work, hearing about what's going on in your life, and so much more. I am thankful for facetime calls, snapchat streaks so I get to see you at least once a day, and random text messages to just let me know you are okay. I look forward to and cherish holidays, weekend visits, and summers you are home. To say I am proud of you is an understatement. You amaze me each and every day. Don't ever change Makenna Sierra Thomas, MS. T, Tu-Tu, Ms. Jersey Village High School, Summa Cum Laude graduate, future Longhorn, amazing daughter, sister, and friend! Go be great!
Remember Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future".
I love you always and forever!
Mom

No comments:
Post a Comment